Friday, April 30, 2010

Chapter 7: Fresh herbs and experiments

Back in October, Joey got me a big pot with some herbs in it for my birthday because he knew that I missed my herb garden that I had to leave in Utah. (isn't he thoughtful?) However, I didn't really know how to use 2 kinds of mint, sage, or lavender. So, they kind of sat there for a while until the sage died and the lavender and mint went crazy. Earlier this week the nice spring weather prompted me to pay more attention to my poor plants. I trimmed the plant and pulled out about half of the lavender (which according to my research is the wrong kind for cooking anyway) and planted some basil instead. I'm looking forward to making pesto, yum! I finally looked up some things to do with the mint. First a honey glazed chicken from this site which looks fabulous but I have yet to try and a chocolate chip cookie with fresh mint in it. I made these last night. They were a little different than I expected but, I happened to forget the salt so, there's kind of a confounding variable--oops. (Joey and I mixed it in with the rest of the dough later although now that i think about it, we didn't account for the dough that we had already cooked so, now they might be a little too salty, oops again.) We'll see how they turn out when I make the cookie dough correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment